Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows

Let me tell you about a couple of things that I know.

I know is has been cold and rainy more often then not lately.

And I know that cold and rainy means perfect hot chocolate weather.

So guess what I made. Marshmallows!! Hot chocolate is pretty awesome and is even more so when it has marshmallows in it, especially when they're homemade. I paired the marshmallows with some chocolate spoons for the little extra hot chocolate fun, but really it was an excuse to buy a silicon spoon mould. 
The last time I made marshmallows was when I was quite young. I helped my Nanna make the marshmallows and was so devastated about having to go home before they were set, I didn't even get to taste them.
Being kind of a grown up now and allowed near a hot stove on my own, I made some marshmallows of my very own and then because the best part is eating them I did that too.
If you've never had homemade marshmallows you've totally missed out. Unlike store bought marshmallows that are often kind of hard on the outside and chewy on the inside, homemade are all fluffy, all dreamy, little soft clouds on sweet vanilla awesomeness!

For the Marshmallow (complete recipe at the end of post)
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons powerdered gelatine
6 tablespoons water
400g white sugar
250 mls water
50g golden syrup
2 large egg whites
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pink food colouring

To make the Marshmallows- Mix the icing sugar and cornflour together in a small bowl.

Lightly grease a 23x23cm square pan with oil (I used rice bran oil) and dust with some of the icing sugar cornflour mixture. Keep the remaining mixture for dusting the marshmallows.
Add water to a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatine over the water and set aside. The gelatine will soak up all the water.
In a medium sized saucepan, add the sugar, water and golden syrup, stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil then turn down slightly so the mixture is at a simmer, continue cooking until the syrup reaches 120c (250f) on a candy thermometer. (If you don't have a candy thermometer totally get one, its one of the best things I've ever bought.
Once the syrup mixture reaches temperature, remove from the heat and stir through the soaked gelatine until melted and smooth.
Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment), continue beating until the whites form stiff peaks.
Continue beating while adding the vanilla and gelatin mixture in a steady stream, with the mixer on high beat for a further 4-5 minutes.
The mixture will expand and get lighter and colour as it's whisked.
 The marshmallow mixture is done when it will hold a ribbon of mixture on the surface.
Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Add a few drops of pink food colouring to the remaining mixture and stir through. Gently pour the pink marshmallow mixture over the top on the white and smooth over with a spatula.
Put the pan of marshmallow aside and allow to set, for about 2 hours.

Once the marshmallow has set, turn out onto a sheet of baking paper dusted with some of the remaining icing sugar and cornflour mixture. Using a sharp knife cut the marshmallow into little squares. Dust the marshmallows with a little icing sugar and cornflour the stop them sticking together.
Enjoy them as they are or pop them into a hot chocolate for an extra yummy treat.

Vanilla Marshmallows
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons powerdered gelatine
6 tablespoons water
400g white sugar
250 mls water
50g golden syrup
2 large egg whites
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pink food colouring

  • Mix the icing sugar and cornflour together in a small bowl.
  • Lightly grease a 23x23cm square pan with oil and dust with some of the icing sugar cornflour mixture. Keep the remaining mixture for dusting the marshmallows.
  • Add water to a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatine over the water and set aside. 
  • In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, water and golden syrup, stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil then turn down slightly so the mixture is at a simmer, continue cooking until the syrup reaches 120c (250f) on a candy thermometer.
  • Once the syrup mixture reaches temperature, remove from the heat and stir through the soaked gelatine until melted and smooth.
  • Beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment), continue beating until the whites form stiff peaks.
  • Continue beating while adding the vanilla and gelatine mixture in a steady stream, with the mixer on high beat for a further 4-5 minutes. The mixture will expand and get lighter and colour as it's whisked, it is done when it will hold a ribbon of mixture on the surface.
  • Pour half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Add a few drops of pink food colouring to the remaining mixture and stir through. Gently pour the pink marshmallow mixture over the top on the white,smooth with a spatula.
  • Put the pan of marshmallow aside and allow to set, for about 2 hours. 
  • Once the marshmallow has set, turn out onto a sheet of baking paper dusted with some of the remaining icing sugar and cornflour mixture.
  •  Using a sharp knife cut the marshmallow into little squares. Dust icing sugar and cornflour the stop them sticking together.
  • 5 comments:

    1. Ooo these look so pretty!! I love marshmallows but always have shop bought, can't wait to try making my own.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh my these are awesome! I love marshmallows and I so have to try these. I love those chocolate spoons too. I so want one of those moulds but not seen them anywhere. Glad to hear we're not the only one having rain all the time. Mind you, it's winter over there.

      -Lisa.
      Sweet 2 Eat Baking

      ReplyDelete
    3. Your marshmallows look so yummy and ridiculously pretty! I love the two tone effect. I'm desperate to make my own marshmallows but know I can't really do it until I own a kitchenaid (I don't trust myself to whisk egg whites whilst pouring super hot syrup!)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Your marshmallows are so pretty! I have the exact same chocolate teaspoon mould, I absolutely love it and we make them all the time at BB, they look great on a cupcake ;)

      Awesome work as always. x

      ReplyDelete